How do I connect my IMAP email account to Nimble?
IMAP is one of the most prevalent Internet standard protocols for email retrieval. Virtually all modern email clients and mail servers support this protocol as a means of transferring email messages from a server.
Nimble connects to your email over IMAP to bring together all of your conversations from all of your email clients such as your smartphone or your desktop email program and we collect emails in Nimble and relate them to your contacts.
Important Notes Before You Connect:
To use IMAP with Nimble, you must first make sure IMAP is enabled in your email provider's settings. Please check your settings or contact your email provider to make sure you have IMAP enabled. Nimble does not support POP3 email for Nimble.
1. Go to Settings >> Networks & Imports and select "Email Accounts", then "IMAP".
2. Enter your email address and password. Nimble will try to detect your email provider and connect the account for you! If we are not able to locate your email provider based on the information provided, select "Enter Credentials Manually".
3. Nimble will ask you to enter the following information from your email account's settings:
If you are unsure where to find this information in your email client outside of Nimble, please follow our instructions below for help locating the proper information.
Locating Information via Desktop Mail Client
1. Go to Tools >> Account Settings.
2. Select your email account from the left side of the Account Settings dialogue.
3. This will display your server information to translate over to Nimble.
1. Go to Preferences >> Accounts.
2. Copy down your email account information and translate it over to Nimble.
IMAP Settings via Email Service Providers
(Please note when Apple's two-step verification is on, it may block Nimble from accessing your account unless you have set up an app-specific password. Apple goes into more detail in their support article here.).
To set up with Microsoft Exchange, please contact your company's MS Exchange administrator to share the IMAP account details with you, as it differs for every account.
Username: Your full email address
Password: Your email account password
Source: GoDaddy provides more information here.
Rackspace Hosted Exchange Server
Create a third-party app password to connect to IMAP. Full details here:
IMAP Port: 993
SMTP Port: 465 or 587
Username: Your Account Email
Error Messages and Solutions
"The specified SMTP host doesn't respond.
This error message could be caused by any of the following :
Hostname is incorrect
Incorrect SMTP hostname.
Your email server may need to whitelist Nimble's server IP ranges (Please email us for more information).
Need to verify that the account is set up for IMAP and not POP3.
If none of these solutions work, please test out your account by using the same IMAP/SMTP credentials on another email program to see if you can connect. Some example programs are Apple Mail, Mozilla Thunderbird, and Microsoft Outlook.
If you continue to have issues with IMAP setup, please create a dummy account with your IMAP service and email us the following information at email@example.com:
IMAP Host and Port information
SMTP Host and Port information
If you have any questions, please write us at firstname.lastname@example.org, initiate a chat from this FAQ, or join one of our Nimble Onboarding and Best Practices sessions, held every weekday at 9 AM PT.